Work Permit

A work permit allows foreign nationals to work in Canada. There are 2 types of work permits, employer-specific work permits, and open work permits. An employer-specific work permit lets you work with specifications such as the name of an employer you can work for, as well as where and how long you can work for. An open work permit lets you work for any employer in Canada, except for one that is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions,


To be eligible for a work permit, you must:

  • prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires;
  • prove that you have sufficient funds to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and to return home;
  • obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (may be required to give us a police clearance certificate);
  • not be a danger to Canada’s security;
  • be in good health and have a medical exam, if needed;
  • not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions;
  • give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.

Eligibility requirements if you apply from outside Canada:

Anyone can apply before they enter Canada. However, there may be visa office requirements that you need to meet depending on what country or territory you’re applying from. 

Eligibility requirements if you apply from inside Canada:

  • you have a valid study or work permit;
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parents have a valid study or work permit;
  • you’re eligible for a post-graduation work permit, and your study permit is still valid;
  • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more;
  • you’re waiting on a decision on an application for permanent residence from inside Canada;
  • you made a claim for refugee protection;
  • you’ve been recognized as a convention refugee or protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada;
  • you’re allowed to work in Canada without a work permit, but you need a work permit to work in a different job (this does not apply to business visitors); or
  • you’re a trader, investor, intra-company transferee or professional under the Canada – United States – Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).

Eligibility requirements if you apply when you enter Canada at a port of entry:

  • be eligible for an electronic travel authorization or to travel without a visitor visa (find out if you need a visa)
  • meet other requirements depending on the type of work permit you’re applying for

Futurix consultants are always available to help with your Work Permit application ensuring it is processed quickly and efficiently.

How can Futurix help?

Documentation Assistance

We help you prove your worth on paper and create a case that has the most chance of a positive outcome. 

Consult With Experts

Talk to RCIC certified experts and iron out any questions and issues before you apply.

Apply For Visa

We process your application for you with a profile that has a high chance of approval and is in line with the ministry’s guidelines.